Mauritius is the ideal destination for a family trip because parents do not have to sacrifice quality for convenience here. The warm Mauritian welcome and the island’s safe beaches and gentle seas make the destination a great place for a family getaway.
Mauritius has something for everyone.
Children will enjoy:
• The interactive exhibits at L’Aventure du Sucre.
• Over-sized water lilies, deer and tortoises at Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam (SSR) Botanical Garden.
• Giant tortoises and crocodiles at La Vanille Reserve des Mascareignes.
• Exploring science and technology at the Rajiv Gandhi Centre.
• Horse-riding, quad-biking and either horse-drawn carriage or train rides through the beautiful estate of Domaines Les Pailles.
• 4 x 4 off road-trips at Espace Adventure.
• Watching dolphins from a catamaran launched at Tamarin.
• A day with birds, monkeys and lions at Casela Bird Park.
• The variety of marine life at the Aquarium at Pointe aux Biches
• A fun day out at Caudan Waterfront in Port Louis, with its train ride, children’s park and multiple games.
• A day at Trou aux Cerfs to view a dormant volcano crater.
• A day with the lions at Safari Adventures.
• Endless days on the beach.
Things to consider:
• Take night flights, if possible, when travelling with children. This will help avoid jet-lag.
• Take plenty of sunscreen and a suitable child mosquito spray for the evenings.
At the hotel:
• Most hotels provide a kid’s club where children can pop in and out throughout the day.
• Upon request, babysitting is also available.
• Teen clubs are becoming increasingly available, enabling slightly older kids of the same age group to hang out together, learn new skills such as water-skiing, or join in team-games.
• Special children pools are available in many hotels.
• Remember that children will enjoy making sand castles on the beach.